Serves perfectly with pasta, gnocchi, bruschetta and basically anything else. I love pesto!
Rustic Vegan PestoPrint Recipe
- 2 cups of roughly chopped fresh basil leaves (fine stems are ok but no large stalks)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 A lemons juice
- 1/4 Cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Add the pine nuts to the pestle and mortar and bash and grind until a dense paste.
Add the garlic, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Bash the garlic first and grind into a paste with the nuts.
Now add the basil and begin to bash the leaves down until darker and moist before grinding with the paste. Now add the lemon and oil and mix together.